No more survivors expected to be found in Pentagon wreckage
Wednesday, September 12, 2001
Associated Press WriterWASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon said Wednesday no more survivors are expected to be pulled from the rubble following the terrorist attack that sent a jetliner into the side of the building. Search-and-rescue officials said 80 bodies had been pulled from the wreckage.
"The area of the Pentagon where the aircraft struck and burned sustained catastrophic damage. Anyone who might have survived the initial impact and collapse could not have survived the fire that followed," the Defense Department said in a written statement.
Arlington, Va., fire officials involved in the search and rescue estimated that 100 to 800 people may have died.
J.H. Schwartz, assistant fire chief for Arlington, said rescuers had pulled about 80 bodies from the building so far but it was too early to know how many more could be retrieved Wednesday.
"We want to assure that we have a safe working environment for the firemen going into that building," Schwartz said.