- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
SEMO District Fair is week of thrills, fun
Today marks the opening of the 146th annual SEMO District Fair, the oldest fair in Missouri.
The event transforms Arena Park in Cape Girardeau into a wonderland of colorful sights and tantalizing smells. There's literally something for everyone, from stomach-turning rides to livestock to country music.
It may be just a little tougher to get there this year. Due to bridge reconstruction, drivers accustomed to taking East Rodney Drive will have to take Hopper Road to Hawthorne Road to get to some fair parking this year. But it's just a minor inconvenience and well worth the effort.
The event runs through Sept. 15.
No one should miss out on this city treasure. It promises to be bigger and better than ever.