- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
SEMO District Fair is week of thrills, fun
Today marks the opening of the 146th annual SEMO District Fair, the oldest fair in Missouri.
The event transforms Arena Park in Cape Girardeau into a wonderland of colorful sights and tantalizing smells. There's literally something for everyone, from stomach-turning rides to livestock to country music.
It may be just a little tougher to get there this year. Due to bridge reconstruction, drivers accustomed to taking East Rodney Drive will have to take Hopper Road to Hawthorne Road to get to some fair parking this year. But it's just a minor inconvenience and well worth the effort.
The event runs through Sept. 15.
No one should miss out on this city treasure. It promises to be bigger and better than ever.