- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
SEMO District Fair is week of thrills, fun
Today marks the opening of the 146th annual SEMO District Fair, the oldest fair in Missouri.
The event transforms Arena Park in Cape Girardeau into a wonderland of colorful sights and tantalizing smells. There's literally something for everyone, from stomach-turning rides to livestock to country music.
It may be just a little tougher to get there this year. Due to bridge reconstruction, drivers accustomed to taking East Rodney Drive will have to take Hopper Road to Hawthorne Road to get to some fair parking this year. But it's just a minor inconvenience and well worth the effort.
The event runs through Sept. 15.
No one should miss out on this city treasure. It promises to be bigger and better than ever.