- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)11
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
SEMO District Fair is week of thrills, fun
Today marks the opening of the 146th annual SEMO District Fair, the oldest fair in Missouri.
The event transforms Arena Park in Cape Girardeau into a wonderland of colorful sights and tantalizing smells. There's literally something for everyone, from stomach-turning rides to livestock to country music.
It may be just a little tougher to get there this year. Due to bridge reconstruction, drivers accustomed to taking East Rodney Drive will have to take Hopper Road to Hawthorne Road to get to some fair parking this year. But it's just a minor inconvenience and well worth the effort.
The event runs through Sept. 15.
No one should miss out on this city treasure. It promises to be bigger and better than ever.