- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
PUXICO, Mo. -- John Powell, 94, of Puxico died Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2001, at his home.
He was born April 8, 1907, near Puxico, son of Enoch and Ella Helms Powell. He and Mildred Kitchen were married Sept. 3, 1931, at Poplar Bluff, Mo. She died Oct. 28, 1994.
Powell was a section worker for St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad 37 years. He was a member of First Baptist Church, past master of Masonic Lodge 596 AF&AM, and past worthy patron of Order of Eastern Star Chapter 422.
Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Smith of Puxico; a son, Jerry Powell of Warrenton, Mo.; four grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and eight great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a daughter.
Friends may call at Watkins and Sons Funeral Home in Puxico after 6 p.m. today. A Masonic service will be held at 7.
Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Revs. Marshall Link and Wiley McGhee officiating. Burial will be in Puxico Cemetery.