- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local priest met Mother Teresa, will attend canonization (8/31/16)
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Wal-Mart theft probe yields drug charges against woman (8/31/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
- Cape police: Illinois union president hit woman in head with rock (8/28/16)3
Elian's father denies Time report of U.N. visit by son
CARDENAS, Cuba -- Elian Gonzalez's father on Monday denied reports that the 7-year-old boy would go to the United Nations later this month for a conference on children.
"I have been consulted about everything that happens with my family," Juan Miguel Gonzalez said, holding Elian's hand as he walked him to the front of his school for the first day of fall classes. "I'm not going anywhere," and neither is Elian, the father added.
Time Magazine last week reported that Cuban officials were considering sending the boy at the center of last year's international custody battle to a U.N. children's summit in New York on Sept. 19-20. Cuban officials denied the report.
Elian became a political poster boy for Cubans living on both sides of the Florida Straits following his rescue off the Florida coast in November 1999.