- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)25
Elian's father denies Time report of U.N. visit by son
CARDENAS, Cuba -- Elian Gonzalez's father on Monday denied reports that the 7-year-old boy would go to the United Nations later this month for a conference on children.
"I have been consulted about everything that happens with my family," Juan Miguel Gonzalez said, holding Elian's hand as he walked him to the front of his school for the first day of fall classes. "I'm not going anywhere," and neither is Elian, the father added.
Time Magazine last week reported that Cuban officials were considering sending the boy at the center of last year's international custody battle to a U.N. children's summit in New York on Sept. 19-20. Cuban officials denied the report.
Elian became a political poster boy for Cubans living on both sides of the Florida Straits following his rescue off the Florida coast in November 1999.