- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Elian's father denies Time report of U.N. visit by son
CARDENAS, Cuba -- Elian Gonzalez's father on Monday denied reports that the 7-year-old boy would go to the United Nations later this month for a conference on children.
"I have been consulted about everything that happens with my family," Juan Miguel Gonzalez said, holding Elian's hand as he walked him to the front of his school for the first day of fall classes. "I'm not going anywhere," and neither is Elian, the father added.
Time Magazine last week reported that Cuban officials were considering sending the boy at the center of last year's international custody battle to a U.N. children's summit in New York on Sept. 19-20. Cuban officials denied the report.
Elian became a political poster boy for Cubans living on both sides of the Florida Straits following his rescue off the Florida coast in November 1999.