- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Two attend national VFW Auxiliary convention
Ladies Auxiliary VFW Past National President Glenneta Vogelsang of Cape Girardeau, a member of Clippard, Wilson, Taylor Auxiliary #3838, participated in the 88th National Convention of the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States held Aug. 18-24 at the Midwest Express Center in Milwaukee, Wis.
Vogelsang will serve the auxiliary in 2001-2002 as a member of the National Budget Committee.
Judith Thrower of Cape Girardeau accepted an Outstanding Achievement Award for the Missouri Auxiliary during the convention. She was honored for her leadership as state president during the 2000-2001 year.
New district VFW officers elected
Jerry Jenkins of Jackson, Mo., was re-elected Veterans of Foreign Wars district commander at the district convention in May at Wappapello, Mo.
A Vietnam veteran, Jenkins is a life member of VFW Post 3838 in Cape Girardeau. He will preside over 21 VFW posts in Cape Girardeau, Scott, Wayne, Bollinger, Butler, Stoddard, Ripley, New Madrid, Mississippi, Pemiscot and Dunklin counties.
Also elected were Tony Barborek, senior vice, from Post 3174 in Sikeston, Mo.; Ron Razer, junior vice, from Post 3416 in Wappapello; and Glen Davis, quartermaster, from Post 4294 in Charleston, Mo.
New district VFW Ladies Auxiliary officers chosen
Deborah Griffin of Jackson, Mo., was elected president of the 15th District Ladies Auxiliary at the district convention in May at Wappapello, Mo.
Griffin is a life member of Auxiliary 383 in Cape Girardeau and the wife of Paul Griffin, a Vietnam veteran.
She will preside over 14 auxiliaries in Cape Girardeau, Scott, Wayne, Bollinger, Butler, Stoddard, Ripley, New Madrid, Mississippi, Pemiscot and Dunklin counties.
Also elected were Ethel Warren of Charleston, Mo. as senior vice; Pam Andrews, junior vice, of Wappapello Auxiliary 3416; Fern Shultz, chaplain, of Jackson Auxiliary 10495; Glenneta Vogelsang, treasurer, and Sandi Goodheart, conductress, of Cape Girardeau Auxiliary 3838.
-- From staff reports