- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
$7 million bail set for Iowa murder suspect
SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- Bail was set at $7 million Saturday for a man accused of killing seven people, including his girlfriend and her five children who were bludgeoned to death in their sleep with a hammer.
Adam Matthew Moss, 23, stared at the floor or his hands as he appeared before Woodbury County District Judge Frank B. Nelson.
Seven first-degree murder accusations were detailed in complaints filed by county prosecutors, who said formal charges would be filed this coming week. If convicted of a single first-degree murder charge, Moss would face life in prison; Iowa does not have the death penalty.
No motive was given for the killings.
The judge said Moss is accused of going into the home of his girlfriend, Leticia Aguilar, late Monday or early Tuesday, while she and her children were sleeping.
He is accused of beating each of the children to death with a hammer while they slept, then going to Aguilar's room, cutting her throat and beating her in the face with a hammer, Nelson said.
The bodies of Aguilar, 31, and Claudia, 12; Zach, 11; Larry, 9; Lisa, 7; and Michael, 6, were found Thursday evening by a baby sitter who dropped by to see why the children had failed to show up at her home after school.
About the same time, the body of Ronald E. Fish, 58, owner of a tire store and service station, was found at his home some two miles away. Moss also is accused of stealing Fish's car.