- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Otahkians drop opener in Hilton Cardinal Classic
BEAUMONT, Texas -- Southeast Missouri State University's volleyball team extended Wichita St. to five sets before losing its season opener at the Hilton Cardinal Classic Tournament at Lamar University.
In the best of five format, Southeast dropped the opening set 24-30, but battled back to take the next two, 30-26, 30-24.
Wichita St. won game four and the deciding fifth, 31-29 and 15-13.
The NCAA's new rally scoring system awards a point to whichever team wins the rally, either the serving or defensive side. The first three games and the fourth, if needed, are concluded when a team reaches 30 points and must be won by at least a two-point margin. The fifth set, if needed, is won by the first team to reach 15 points with a two-point margin.
Bobbi Carlile led the Otahkians with 18 kills and 11 digs, while Jessica Houpt had 10 in both departments. Southeast's Suzanne Gundlach had a match-high 17 digs and setter Emily Scannell registered 38 assists.