- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Mentor program seeks mothers
The Mentoring Mom program through Young Life is seeking Christian mothers to participate in the coming year. The program matches teen-age mothers with Christian women in a mentoring relationship.
Each participant is asked for a one-year commitment and willingness to develop the relationship. Mentors and their matches meet for monthly meetings.
For information, call Stacy Kinder at 651-3818.
Project HOPE participant graduatesGreater Dimension Church of God in Christ recently presented Janice Houston with a certificate of graduation from the mentoring program offered by the church.
The mentoring program was offered in connection with Project HOPE, a faith-based mentoring project in Cape Girardeau County that helps people moving from welfare to work.
Houston is a single mother of two who has worked with her mentoring team and Project HOPE since last August. She returned to college and is scheduled to graduate in 2002 with a degree in social work. Houston also worked at the Project HOPE offices this summer on a work study fellowship grant through Southeast Missouri State University.
Greater Dimension Church of God in Christ was the first church in the county to participate in the program.
Church begins new worship schedule
Bethany Baptist Church will begin a new evening worship schedule Sunday. Worship is now from 7-8 p.m., with the Awana program from 6-8 p.m. for children up to sixth grade. The Wednesday service schedule also changes with a prayer and Bible study at 3 p.m. and a youth fellowship at 6 p.m., with worship at 7 p.m.
DivorceCare seminar to begin at area church
Christ Evangelical Presbyterian Church will begin hosting DivorceCare seminars on Tuesday evenings, beginning this week. The course is open to anyone who has experienced divorce or separation.
The group will meet from 7-9 p.m. each week through Nov. 27 at the church in Cape Girardeau. A donation of $35 is requested to cover cost of materials and refreshments during the meetings. For registration information, call the church at 334-6292 or e-mail christepchurch@ dotplanet.com.
DivorceCare is a videotape seminar that includes topics on facing anger, depression and loneliness, new relationships, forgiveness, reconciliation and financial survival. Small group discussions also are included in the seminar.
-- From staff reports