- Sheriff, Scott County named in discrimination lawsuit by deputy (9/22/18)3
- Krispy Kreme franchise owner fills in holes of rumors regarding location, employment (9/19/18)1
- Sugarfire Smoke House opens in Cape (9/20/18)
- Large crowd turns out at Cape city council meeting to contest developer (9/21/18)3
- Cape experiencing a mid-town rebirth in commercial business areas (9/22/18)3
- The show must go on: Shipyard Music Festival continues through rain (9/24/18)
- Work on splash pad, new restroom in early stages at Capaha Park (9/19/18)3
- The message to the President I would have given (9/12/18)13
- New policy seeks to make Cape streets more pedestrian, bike friendly (9/24/18)8
A busy weekend for family friendly and music events
Two major events are happening this weekend at Arena Park.
One is being put on by Cape First Church and includes a demolition derby. The other involves a family that raises money for scholarships or assistance for those with disabilities.
On Friday, Cape First will hold its annual Family Day, which starts at 5:30; it's simply a fun, community outreach event. They'll be providing some 3,000 hot dogs, followed by a 12-car demolition derby at the grandstand, according to reporting by Joshua Hartwig. The church is expecting some 7,000 attendees, including some 200 church staff and volunteers. There will also be a petting zoo and inflatable jump houses and games for children.
"It's a great event for families to get out, at no cost and just have a nice night out," Jeff Wilson, Cape First Church staff pastor, said.
On Saturday, The Howard Aslinger Memorial Scholarship Foundation is hosting its Summer Music Fest at 4 p.m. at Arena Park's Red Show Barn to benefit local individuals with disabilities, Hartwig reported. Entertainment will include Mike Renick, Dave Gerlach and Saints Till Friday. All bands volunteer their time. Emcee and comedian for the evening will be Jason Wray, according to Aslinger. Food, beer, wine, and soft drinks will be available for purchase. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Find their event on Facebook for more information.
Arena Park will be a busy place this weekend. We hope you have an opportunity to enjoy the festivities.