- The message to the President I would have given (9/12/18)12
- 'Castle house' on Kingsway demolished (9/12/18)9
- Judge disqualifies three Scott Co. prosecutors from case for violation (9/13/18)2
- Penzel picked for new Cape County Courthouse; plans unveiled (9/15/18)4
- Trump visit to Cape is canceled (9/12/18)18
- Too many people feel justified to behave badly (9/13/18)21
- New strip mall under construction in Jackson (9/12/18)
- Multiple-vehicle wreck Saturday on Interstate 55 (9/17/18)2
- Frank (the Fighter) Bertrand lives on through parents, foundation (9/15/18)
- Krispy Kreme franchise owner fills in holes of rumors regarding location, employment (9/19/18)1
Blood donations save lives; please give
If someone approached you and told you someone's life was at stake and you could save it with just a few minutes of your time, would you do it?
Giving blood saves lives, and the American Red Cross needs more donors.
For the rest of this month, the Red Cross is offering a $5 Amazon.com gift card as an incentive to give. But the real incentive should be to help others who need it.
According to a recent story by Joshua Hartwig, blood donations are being distributed to hospitals faster than they are coming in, and as a result, there is now less than a five-day blood supply on hand.
Type O blood is particularly in demand, because it is universal and can be given to any patient.
The Red Cross is also hoping for platelet donations for cancer patients.
Blood supplies normally dip in the summer as regular givers often go on vacations.
Please consider donating blood or platelets.
Whole blood donation requirements
* Donation frequency: Every 56 days
* Donor must be in good health and feeling well
* Donor must be at least 16 years old in most states
* Donor must weigh at least 110 pounds
Additional donor requirements and blood drive locations may be found online at www.redcrossblood.org.