- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Cape's family-friendly events a big hit for parents and children
The pictures tell the story.
In one, a father is dressed in a suit and tie. His daughter, probably around the age of 9, is dressed in a long, midnight-blue dress, her cheek resting against her father's chest. The father is kissing the girl on the head as other father's and daughters dance in the background.
In another photo, a father holds his daughter off the floor, her arms around his neck. The girl has a big red bow in her hair, and she's looking off to the side, a mile-wide grin stretched across her face. In another, a girl, named Isabella, in a yellow princess dress sits on her knees at a table, smiling as her father, Dustin, dressed in a vest and tie, has her undivided attention.
The City of Cape Girardeau's parks and recreation department hit a home run with this annual event, the father-daughter dance held at the Osage Centre. The photos make us smile every year.
The parks department also holds a special event for moms and sons -- game night. This event lets moms and boys get loud and active, whether it be bouncing around in the bounce slide, mixing it up as part of relay races or even playing soccer. This event was held at the Cape Girardeau SportsPlex this year, which really allowed space for all sorts of fun activities.
These are two wonderful family friendly events. Kudos to the city for putting them on. We love to see families coming together for quality time, and these events give families a reason and opportunity to get out of the house and make memories.