- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
- Cape's casino flourishing as it celebrates fifth year (10/22/17)3
October perfect time to go outdoors, hit trails
It's that time of year when the weather is cooling off and the trees are beginning to show their splendor.
It's a perfect time to, as they say, "Hit the trail." And there no shortage of them in Cape Girardeau County, which recently was mentioned in the September issue of Trail Runner Magazine, a national publication. There are an abundance with each presenting a unique challenge, from the paved and relatively flat La Croix Trail in Cape Girardeau to more adventurous treks in remote locations such as Trail of Tears State Park. There are also trails at Klaus Park and several routes available at the Missouri Department of Conservation Nature Center.
Not that Cape Girardeau County has a monopoly on beautiful countryside. There are a lot of short trips that can be made in every direction: east to Shawnee National Forest and Giant City State Park across the river; west to Mark Twain National Forest near Fredericktown, Missouri; north to Hawn State Park in Ste. Genevieve County; and south to General Watkins Conservation Area near Benton, Missouri.
You can take a leisurely stroll or run, it's up to you, but enjoying the great outdoors this time of year will benefit a person both mentally and physically. Yes, it's football season and the couch can be a comfortable place on a Sunday afternoon, but it's also a great time to be outside.