- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)9
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
Nina, Pinta headline heritage weekend
Downtown Cape Girardeau will try its best this weekend to turn back the clock.
Plenty of activities have been planned to remember and celebrate history.
The most visible among them will be tours of the replica ships, the Pinta and Nina. The ships, patterned after the original ships led by Christopher Columbus, will be docked today and will give access for tours at Riverfront Park through Oct. 8. Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors and $6 for students.
The second annual Heritage Day will be celebrating area history on Saturday. Historic sites include the Glenn House, Old St. Vincent's Seminary, Fort D Historic Site, Red House, the River Heritage Museum and the Crisp Museum. More than 200 volunteers are involved in the effort to make history come alive at these places. The fun starts at 9.
In addition to these historic opportunities, the Missouri Department of Conservation will hold its annual Day on the River with all sorts of outdoor demonstrations and activities, including boat rides. That event typically draws more than 3,000 people. And on Sunday, the Downtown Merchants Group will hold its biannual Tailgate Flea Market, where 155 vendors will be on hand.
It's a good weekend to be downtown. We hope you take the time to visit and explore.