- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Charleston wins Christmas Tournament
Congratulations to the Charleston boys basketball team.
The Blue Jays held off the upset-minded Advance Hornets to claim the championship game of the 72nd annual Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament on Friday night at the Show Me Center.
Charleston, the top seed in the tournament, defeated the seventh-seeded Hornets 66-60 to win its 18th Christmas Tournament title and first since 2012.
"No one was expecting to get this far, I don't think," Advance senior Dawson Mayo said after the Hornets' semifinal win. "It ain't that we want to stop. I mean we're proud of where we're at, but we don't want to stop. We want to keep trying to go on and win the whole thing. But it's definitely going to be something to remember."
It was definitely a memorable tournament.
There's plenty of season left, and we're looking forward to following along as our local teams compete in the postseason. We wish them all the best of luck down the stretch.
Thank you to all the players, coaches, referees, volunteers, sponsors and fans who helped make this year's tournament a great one. Thanks to tournament director Matt Asher for a successful tournament.
If you haven't gotten enough of the tournament you can listen to the Semoball Podcast for a tournament wrapup at semoball.com/podcast. The championship game is available to watch in full at semoball.com/christmas.