- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Buy the River: Coats and boots to build your fall wardrobe
Looking forward to fall when it seems summer won't quit is only made easier by the fab fashions that flood the stores during this time. Sweaters, boots, jackets, hats and more take over the magazines and shopping sites, tempting us to take a chance on Mother Nature and go for it!
Staple pieces such as the perfect coat that goes with everything or that sharp pair of boots that can be dressed up or down are great places to start when building a functional and versatile fall/winter wardrobe.
The best coat is a mid-length version that can be thrown over the shoulders on chilly nights and bundled up over chunky sweaters when that bitter cold sweeps in around January.
Stash, which just celebrated its four-year anniversary, has a gorgeous Collective Concepts coat that boasts a textured fabric and sits at just the right length to not look too formal. Long winter coats are trending, and the romantic flow of this stunner is a must-have.
When it comes to footwear, most women say the more, the merrier. This time of year is one of the best to strut your stuff in shoes that spark conversation while conquering any terrain. Bring jeans and skirts to life with a boisterous boot. Boots sometimes can hit the pocketbook pretty hard, but by shopping in some of our thriving thrift stores, you can get more bang for your buck.
Annie Laurie's, the style powerhouse on the hill, always gives visitors more than they bargained for. After perusing Annie Laurie's on social media, I found these leather boots that certainly were made for walking.
The camel and winter white make them perfect for pairing with light-colored hues or deep chocolates and reds for the holidays.
On Oct. 1, models from the VintageNOW Fashion Show flooded the Cape Girardeau riverfront with style and confidence to promote the event happening this Saturday, Oct. 22.
Deb Maevers, founder and creative director of VintageNOW, promises an exciting production every year and always keeps in focus the sobering matter at hand.
"I think it's so important for all women to have a safe place to go in time of need," she says. "I am so grateful to know my sister, my daughters or friends have a safe haven in our area."
She adds, "It's an evening of fun and entertainment, but carries a serious message that we want to end domestic violence. Our models #walkSTRONG for the ladies who can't. We raise funds so all women can have a safe place to go now and in the future."
Proceeds from the event go directly to the Safe House for Women, an organization that gives support to victims of domestic violence.
You can show your support to the Safe House and toward the cause by purchasing tickets to VintageNOW or by making a donation directly to the organization.