- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
Automobiles and boats flock to downtown Cape
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my? Try classic cars, bikes and boats! At least that's the case in Downtown Cape Girardeau over the coming weeks.
Beginning today with the Race of the Century -- 100 classic motorcycles on a 3,400-mile trek across the country are making a stop downtown -- there are a variety of car, bike and boat-related events available to the public.
The American Queen is docking Friday from noon to 5 p.m. and the Queen of the Mississippi will dock from noon to 5 p.m. next Wednesday.
In between is "Day on the River" hosted by the Missouri Department of Conservation. The free event, for all ages, is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Riverfront Park. There will be boat rides every half hour except for from noon to 1 p.m., live aquatic animal displays, lessons in casting a fishing pole, and crafts for kids among other activities. That day the River City Rodders and Old Town Cape also will host a Cruise In at Capaha Park, which includes free barbecue, music and door prizes.
The 39th annual River Tales Classic Car Show -- with awards going to several classes of make and model and proceeds benefitting Toy Box, the Safe House for Women and other charities -- and the Vintage & Unique Bike Show charity event are scheduled for Sunday.