- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- 'All Nite Skate' filming in Jackson this weekend (6/8/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
At what age did you start running?
Why did you start running?
I faced a choice of giving up and being old, with physical problems including obesity, high blood pressure and arthritis; or doing something to improve my health. I signed up for Kelly Potter's couch potato to 5K class, and have been running ever since. Running and running friends have helped me lose weight, lower my blood pressure, have less stress and arthritis pain, and keep up with my grandsons.
What is your best 5K time after turning 50?
27 minutes and some sec. - I can't remember exactly.
What is the race/time you’re most proud of since turning 50?
Nashville St. Jude half marathon in the spring of 2014.
2 hours and 16 minutes.
Age 57 - my first half marathon, but not my last or my fastest.
What’s the longest distance you’ve ever run since turning 50?
What’s your favorite local route to run?
From Clearwater High School through Piedmont down to the shopping center south of town and back to the High School - about 6 miles.
The thing I enjoy most about running is:
Running friends and the feeling I get radiating from my core to all of my running muscles. It isn't easy, but it feels SO good to be in shape and know you can count on your body to be strong and energetic. When I am running uphill or doing something hard I tell myself "You're not a rocking chair Grandma - You are an awesome Running Grandma."