- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)5
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
At what age did you start running?
Why did you start running?
My mom died when I was 38. She was only 61 years old. She was not active and she experienced multiple health problems leading up to her death. I decided right away that I needed to become active, to get fit, all to lead to a healthier lifestyle. I chose running because it's something I can do every day and the running community around Cape is great.
What is your best 5K time after turning 50?
Right at 30 min.
What is the race/time you’re most proud of since turning 50?
Half marathon in 2:30. I also completed my first Ironman 70.3 triathlon, at age 50, in 7:45. I'm not fast, but I'm ok with that. I'm consistent. I don't go in to races to win, but I always aim to complete the race I've started!
What’s the longest distance you’ve ever run since turning 50?
Half marathon 13.1 miles
What’s your favorite local route to run?
From Central pool, down Broadway, along the river wall on the river side.
The thing I enjoy most about running is:
The local running community is very supportive and encouraging. I enjoy the social aspect of running, both in training and during races. I always feel great after a run, whether it's a 3 miler or a 13 miler. I have completed almost 50 half marathons, 3 full marathons, multiple 5k, 10k, and 15k races, a 50k, and an Ironman 70.3 triathlon.