- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
Southeast Missouri Community to 'Stuff the Bus' for Area Students
Cape Girardeau – School buses will be parked in front of participating Walmart stores from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Aug. 6 during Missouri’s tax-free weekend, but not to take children to school. These buses will collect hundreds of school supplies items donated by community members across the entire Southeast Missouri region.
Every year it is estimated that around 1,000 families in our area cannot afford the school supplies needed for their children to confidently begin another academic year. That is why United Way is partnering with KFVS12, Withers Broadcasting and Walmart to collect basic school supplies for children in need during their annual “Stuff the Bus” campaign.
Cape Girardeau, Dexter, Fredericktown, Jackson, Kennett, Malden, Perryville, Poplar Bluff and Sikeston Walmarts will be participating in the event that will benefit more than 20 school districts across the region.
“We are very pleased to be involved again this year with the Stuff the Bus event,” said Gary Elders, General Manager of Walmart Supercenter in Cape Girardeau. “We appreciate KFVS12, The United Way and Withers for being a part of it. We have made a great partnership for the last two years and look forward to an even bigger turnout this year.”
Volunteers from participating schools will greet shoppers with lists of items needed and collect their donations. Examples of supplies commonly needed include single-subject notebooks, mechanical pencils, 2-pocket folders, ink pens, bottled school glue, scissors, 24-count Crayola Crayons, loose-leaf paper, pink erasers and glue sticks.
For more information on participating school districts and other ways to get involved, visit http://www.unitedwayofsemo.org/Stuff-the-Bus/
The Mission of the United Way of Southeast Missouri is to serve as the leader in uniting people and resources to build a stronger and healthier community. We focus on the building blocks of a strong family and a good life: Education, Income and Health. Our proactive methods create lasting change in the community that will continuously reduce the need for emergency services. We envision a community that LIVES UNITED by Giving, Advocating and Volunteering to improve this wonderful place where we live and work. For more information please visit www.UnitedWayofSEMO.org or call 573-334-9634.