- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
Tunes at Twilight returns to downtown Cape
Music will be in the air tonight in downtown Cape Girardeau as the Tunes at Twilight concert series returns to the Common Pleas Courthouse gazebo.
Tunes at Twilight has two series each year: one in spring and one in late summer. During the hottest part of the year -- the end of June through the beginning of August -- the event takes a break.
This spring's lineup begins with The Jenny Johnson Band. Johnson is a folk singer from Southern Illinois. Other members of the band are guitarist and vocalist Janis Esch, fiddler and vocalist Toby Merriman, accordionist Alex Pape and upright bassist and vocalist Nate Graham. Other bands in the spring lineup are Rod Picott, Ivas John and Gary Gordon, Nick Shnebelen, Keith Sykes and The Stiff Riffs. The spring series runs through June 17.
The courthouse lawn gets quite crowded during Tunes at Twilight. Last year's weekly attendance averaged between 550 and 675, according to Old Town Cape, which organizes the event. Concertgoers often come early to stake out their perfect spot, bringing lawn chairs, picnic blankets and snacks to share with family and friends. It's a relaxed atmosphere, and everyone is welcome. All shows are free.
Thanks to this year's sponsors -- Cape Air, Fox 23/my49, SoutheastHEALTH and the Missouri Arts Council -- for making these fun Friday evenings possible.
Shows begin at 7 p.m. every Friday through June 17. Come on out and enjoy some music and time with friends.