Dexter, Mo., couple jailed after chase

Thursday, August 14, 2014

DEXTER, Mo. -- A Dexter man remains in the Stoddard County Jail on a number of traffic and drug-related charges, and his wife faces a charge of filing a false report after a high-speed chase in New Madrid County.

A probable-cause affidavit filed Tuesday states that Mark J. Owens, 28, has been charged with felony fleeing, driving while revoked, failure to drive on the right half of the roadway, failure to signal, failure to stop at a stop sign, careless and imprudent driving and not wearing a seat belt. He also is charged with felony possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine), possession of a controlled substance (marijuana) and possession of drug paraphernalia.

An affidavit filed by trooper Matt Foster of the Missouri State Highway Patrol says a pursuit involving a Dodge Avenger ensued Friday in New Madrid County on Route E, just after 2 a.m. Its license plate number was traced to Kara Owens of Dexter.

Pursuing the vehicle was trooper Dylan DeJournett, who eventually decided to give up because conditions were unsafe. The Avenger, however, was found abandoned in a field near East Prairie, Missouri, later Friday. It was confiscated to gather evidence.

Two days after the chase, Dexter police received a call from Kara Owens, 30, who said she needed to file a report of her vehicle having been stolen.

When Dexter officer D.J. Robinson went to the Owen residence at 326 S. Locust St., Kara Owens provided a written statement that the vehicle was stolen Friday.

When a check of the vehicle's plates revealed it was in the patrol's possession, Owens recanted, telling the officer she had lied.

According to Robinson's information, she "began crying and ripped up the statement." She then admitted to having been involved in the Friday night pursuit in New Madrid County and told Robinson that her husband, Mark Owens, was driving the Avenger as it was pursued.

A computer check revealed that Mark Owens was wanted on a felony warrant in New Madrid County for a parole violation. Kara Owens was charged with filing a false report. At that time, the highway patrol became involved once again with the case, with trooper Foster on the scene.

Mark Owens was not at home when his wife initially contacted police. Police later revisited the home, however, and after some delay, were greeted by Owens at the door. He was arrested without incident.

When asked by Foster why it took some time to answer the door, Owens reportedly replied, "I was getting rid of some meth and heroine."

"I asked Mark Owens where the contraband was located inside the residence, and he said, 'There ain't none. I got rid of it all,'" the trooper relayed in the signed affidavit.

Foster then obtained written consent from Kara Owens at the Dexter police station to search the couple's home. In the master bedroom, Foster found a brown purse with a pink container inside that tested positive for methamphetamine. Inside the bedroom closet were three marijuana pipes with marijuana residue inside, all of which were seized as evidence.

Returning to the local police station, Mark Owens admitted to the trooper that the contraband and paraphernalia were indeed his.

A short time later, Mark Owens complained to Foster of stomach pain and told the trooper, "I ate four grams of meth and some heroine." Owens was transported to SoutheastHEALTH of Stoddard County, where tests were administered, but no trace of the contraband was detected. He was then transported to the Stoddard County Jail, where he remains under a $15,000 bond. Kara Owens posted bond and was released from the Dexter City Jail.

Pertinent address:

Dexter, Mo.

Your voice matters. Leave a comment below.
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: