- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Jackson Chamber to host community, business tour
The Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce will host its first Jackson Community and Business Tour in June to showcase different aspects of the city to the public.
The event is offered in conjunction with the city's bicentennial celebrations and has been in the works for the last few months, said chamber executive director Brian Gerau.
Different morning and afternoon tours June 7 will educate the community about the city's government, industry and business, schools and historic sites that align with the bicentennial.
"We just thought that the timing was right," Gerau said Monday. The tour will provide an opportunity to highlight city entities and allow the community to "really know what goes on behind the scenes."
"I hope that we have a ton of people out there," he said. "It's just going to be a great day to showcase our community."
The schedule for the day follows:
Morning tours begin at 8 a.m. at the Jackson High school parking lot:
* Oliver House from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. and Old Mc-
Kendree Chapel from 10 to 11 a.m.
* Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Office from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. and Jackson's Public Works Department from 10 to 11 a.m.
* Schoen Dairy Farm from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. and Southeast Missouri State University's David M. Barton Agriculture Research Center from 10 to 11 a.m.
* Lunch at noon
Afternoon tours begin at 1 p.m. at the Jackson High School parking lot.
* Liberty Utilities from 1 to 2 p.m. and Mondi Jackson from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
* Saxony Lutheran High School from 1 to 2 p.m. and Jackson High School from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
* Signature Packaging from 1 to 2 p.m. and Rubbermaid from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
The tours are free and open to the public. Sponsors of the event, Jackson Tire Center and The Bank of Missouri, will provide lunch.
Transportation to each site will be provided, but seating is limited to a first-come, first-served basis. RSVPs are not required but recommended to ensure a spot on a bus.
For more information or to reserve a seat, call the Jackson chamber at 243-8131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
315 S. Missouri St., Jackson, Mo.