- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Scott City shooting ruled accidental
A 17-year-old girl was accidentally shot in the face early Friday morning in Scott City, according to the Scott City Police Department.
The shooting has been ruled accidental pending further investigation, Scott City Police Chief Lt. James Dodd said in a phone interview Tuesday. The Signal had been trying to contact Dodd since the incident occurred.
Dodd said a 21-year-old man was the accidental shooter. He was taken into custody and later released.
The Scott City Fire Department was called to the 1300 block of West Mar Elm Street at 12:35 a.m. Friday for an emergency medical service, according to police and fire logs submitted to the Scott County Signal. The police department also was called to a second degree domestic assault at the 1300 block of West Mar Elm Street on Friday.
Dodd says the shooting is still under investigation, as he is tracking down some potential witnesses.
Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter said a deputy from his department was on the scene to help, but said the Scott City Police Department would handle the investigation on its own.
Dodd said the victim was in stable condition.
1300 block West Mar Elm, Scott City, Mo.