- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- Southeast art students contribute mural to Stevie's Steakburger (7/9/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- 'It's just time': PFLAG chapter starting in Cape (7/6/18)33
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
SXSW Festival releases initial music lineup
AUSTIN, Texas -- The South by Southwest Music Festival released its first list of artists for 2014 on Wednesday, featuring acts ranging from New Orleans rapper Vockah Redu to Texas country singer Rodney Crowell and Swedish rock band INVSN.
The batch of 183 acts from 27 countries will be the first of many, said Elizabeth Derczo, publicist for the six-day festival and music conference. South by Southwest was created to showcase up-and-coming acts, build industry contacts and include a handful of established talent.
In 2013, more than 25,000 people saw 2,278 acts during the festival that takes over Austin every spring.
INVSN is one of the important European acts, featuring Dennis Lyxzen, lead singer of punk bands Refused and International Noise Conspiracy. INVSN is on a U.S. tour promoting their new self-titled album.
Other international acts include Germany's Hyenaz, Belgium's Sold Out and England's Glass Animals.
Dum Dum Girls drummer Sandra Vu brings her new genre-stretching band SISU to the festival. Other American bands include Brooklyn's Deidre and the Dark, Avi Buffalo from Los Angeles and Ohio's Jessica Lea Mayfield.
The festival also features fringe and experimental acts unlikely to ever make the charts or appear on TV. Austin's punk-rock drag queen Christeene is among the artists performing in 2014, mixing a homeless woman's appearance with explicit lyrics.
The music portion of South by Southwest lasts from March 11-16. South by Southwest also includes a film festival from March 7-15 and an interactive festival from March 7-11.