- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Cape police investigating Friday morning brawl
The Cape Girardeau Police Department is investigating a brawl that occurred early Friday morning at the Boardman Pavillion at the intersection of Independence and South Main streets.
According to Darin Hickey, department spokesman, the fighting started at the pavilion at about 1:30 a.m. There were anywhere from 30 to 40 people at the scene, and the people believed responsible for beginning the fighting fled when officers arrived. Three victims of the brawl came forward to police, including a man who apparently tried to stop the fighting and was punched and beaten with a baseball bat. The man is receiving treatment at a hospital, Hickey said.
Hickey said the names of people involved in the fighting aren't being released at this time, and no arrests have been made. The police department is interviewing witnesses who observed the brawl, and currently there is no explanation for what caused it, Hickey said.
Anyone with any information about the fighting is urged to contact the police department at 335-6621 or the CrimeStoppers hotline at 339-6312.
Independence Street and South Main Street, Cape Girardeau, Mo.