- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Friedheim man dies when tree falls on him
A man was killed Saturday afternoon in Cape Girardeau County while cutting down a tree for a neighbor.
Cape Girardeau County Coroner John Clifton said "it was a freak accident" that caused the 34-year-old man's death near his home in Friedheim when he was trapped under the tree. Clifton did not release the man's name pending notification of family members, but a death notice sent to the Southeast Missourian by McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson identified him as Waylon A. Friese.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.