- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
The Olivia Act
Each of us have photos that hold special meaning. They may be from events or vacations. Or they may be of family members and friends. These images, particularly the family photos, remind us of good times and the ones we love.
Days before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, one family had professional photos taken. Their daughter Olivia was one of 20 children killed in the December shooting. The photos will hold an even deeper meaning for the family in light of the tragedy.
Shortly after the girl's death, a national movement called the Oliva Act was launched. Named for the deceased girl, the mission is to provide photos for families who cannot afford them.
Two local teenagers with an interest in photography joined this effort. The Southeast Missourian recently reported on Abigayle and Victoria Wall, ages 15 and 18. Along with their mother, they created a "Photography by Abigayle" Facebook page to find a deserving family to offer their services. The winner was the Garland family of Advance, Mo.
Thanks to the girls' talent and compassion, and the generosity of several businesses, the family received an unforgettable experience and priceless photos.
Similar local photo opportunities have been offered in past years for those who would otherwise not be able to afford them. We applaud the Wall family and all photographers and businesses for their generosity. Your acts of kindness are appreciated and inspire us.