- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)2
The Olivia Act
Each of us have photos that hold special meaning. They may be from events or vacations. Or they may be of family members and friends. These images, particularly the family photos, remind us of good times and the ones we love.
Days before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, one family had professional photos taken. Their daughter Olivia was one of 20 children killed in the December shooting. The photos will hold an even deeper meaning for the family in light of the tragedy.
Shortly after the girl's death, a national movement called the Oliva Act was launched. Named for the deceased girl, the mission is to provide photos for families who cannot afford them.
Two local teenagers with an interest in photography joined this effort. The Southeast Missourian recently reported on Abigayle and Victoria Wall, ages 15 and 18. Along with their mother, they created a "Photography by Abigayle" Facebook page to find a deserving family to offer their services. The winner was the Garland family of Advance, Mo.
Thanks to the girls' talent and compassion, and the generosity of several businesses, the family received an unforgettable experience and priceless photos.
Similar local photo opportunities have been offered in past years for those who would otherwise not be able to afford them. We applaud the Wall family and all photographers and businesses for their generosity. Your acts of kindness are appreciated and inspire us.