- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Man charged with trying to rob discount store has prelim set
A Cape Girardeau man arrested earlier this month will see if prosecutors can prove probable cause at a preliminary hearing set for next month.
Phil Mattingly, 44, had his initial arraignment Monday before Judge Gary Kamp. Mattingly stands charged with first-degree attempted robbery and a weapons charge that carries a possible life sentence. Kamp set a preliminary hearing for 1 p.m. March 6. If prosecutors make their case, Mattingly -- already on probation for an unrelated charge -- will be ordered to stand trial.
Mattingly remained in custody Monday on a $100,000 bond after police said he tried to rob a cashier at Dollar General, 64 S. Plaza Way, at knife point the night of Feb. 3. The would-be robber, according to the cashier, fled when another employee returned from a break.
100 Court St., Jackson, Mo.
64 S. Plaza Way, Cape Girardeau, Mo.