- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)13
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)12
There's nothing like practical experience to help students learn key concepts and skills. Earlier this month that's what more than 70 students gained as they participated in the 20th annual Camp Enterprise at the Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center.
Camp Enterprise is a business-simulation contest organized by the Rotary Club. The idea is that students are given a business and tasked with making decisions that an entrepreneur would make in real life.
The students, juniors and seniors from 10 area high schools, were put in teams and challenged to make financial decisions for 32 quarters of operation. From pricing to production, marketing and even charitable contributions, the students made team decisions to see which company would come out on top. The winners were the Fantastic Four and Holograms R Us.
The Rotary Clubs of Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Perryville, Sikeston and Ste. Genevieve funded four $500 scholarships that were awarded by a random drawing. Donated prizes from local businesses also were given out by drawings and awarded to the winners.
We applaud the Rotary Club for organizing the event and the students for participating. Opportunities such as this are productive for students, especially those who may become entrepreneurs.
While lectures, tests and assignments are important and necessary, having a fun opportunity like this provides an exciting learning experience that won't be forgotten.