- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
There's nothing like practical experience to help students learn key concepts and skills. Earlier this month that's what more than 70 students gained as they participated in the 20th annual Camp Enterprise at the Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center.
Camp Enterprise is a business-simulation contest organized by the Rotary Club. The idea is that students are given a business and tasked with making decisions that an entrepreneur would make in real life.
The students, juniors and seniors from 10 area high schools, were put in teams and challenged to make financial decisions for 32 quarters of operation. From pricing to production, marketing and even charitable contributions, the students made team decisions to see which company would come out on top. The winners were the Fantastic Four and Holograms R Us.
The Rotary Clubs of Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Perryville, Sikeston and Ste. Genevieve funded four $500 scholarships that were awarded by a random drawing. Donated prizes from local businesses also were given out by drawings and awarded to the winners.
We applaud the Rotary Club for organizing the event and the students for participating. Opportunities such as this are productive for students, especially those who may become entrepreneurs.
While lectures, tests and assignments are important and necessary, having a fun opportunity like this provides an exciting learning experience that won't be forgotten.