- Business Notebook 5/28/13 (05/28/13)
- Bank of Missouri offers $1,000 to winner of business contest (05/20/13)
- Broadway Prescription Shop featured in magazine (05/13/13)
- Leadercast to be presented Friday via live simulcast (05/06/13)
- Warmer weather brings back the farmers market (04/29/13)
- Training classes help prepare future entrepreneurs (04/22/13)
- Energy-efficent appliances receive sales tax holiday (04/15/13)
Businesses focus on networking and celebration
Business networking and education
* Two local chapters of BNI, a business and professional networking organization that allows only one person per profession to join each chapter, are looking to grow their memberships. BNI-River City Networkers of Cape Girardeau meets at 8 a.m. Tuesdays at the Concourse and is looking for a general practice lawyer, computer support professional, handyman, office furnishings provider and someone from the restaurant profession. Call president Virgil Jones for details at 472-0441. The BNI-SEMO Prosperity chapter, also in Cape Girardeau, meets at 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Dexter Bar-B-Que and is looking for a business law lawyer, automotive body shop professional, carpenter, family counselor, florist, jeweler, photographer, plumber and welding products and services professional. Call president Greg Farrow at 334-3038, extension 103.
* The Leonard R. Ruzicka Sr. Program in Entrepreneurial Excellence has been endowed through the Southeast Missouri University Foundation. Ludeane "Lu" Ruzicka of Savannah, Ga., recently made a gift of more than $100,000 to establish the program in memory of her late husband, Leonard R. Ruzicka Sr. to support activities and special programming through the Douglas C. Greene Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, which encourages the development of an entrepreneurial mindset among students.
"During his lifetime (1920-2004), Mr. Ruzicka mentored and provided opportunities for the business growth of many. It is fitting that his entrepreneurial spirit be remembered with this perpetual legacy to encourage and support young men and women who embody the promise of innovation," said Bill Holland, Southeast vice president of University Advancement and executive director of the Southeast Missouri University Foundation, in a news release. Lu Ruzicka is a Cape Girardeau native and attended Southeast Missouri State College. She is a charter member of the Southeast Missouri University Foundation's Copper Dome Society and a member of the President's Council, as was her husband. A longtime benefactor who helped make the River Campus a reality, she received the University's Distinguished Service Award in 2009.
Community service organizations praise efforts
* The United Way is having a victory party from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 7 at Cape West 14 Cine to celebrate a successful 2012 fundraising campaign. Volunteers, donors, the top 20 workplace campaigns and others who helped make the effort a success will be recognized and the total funds raised will be announced. The community service organization said last week it was within $15,000 of reaching its goal of $950,000. Lunch and entertainment will be provided. The public is invited. Call 334-9634 for more information.
* The American Red Cross, Southern Missouri Region, reported efforts made by regional members to aid in the superstorm Sandy recovery in the last three months, which included 99 deployments by 92 volunteers and seven staff.
A total of 2,153 days were spent on the project, with an average assignment of 21 days. The monetary value of the 25,836 hours of volunteer labor was estimated at $705,839. More than 1,000 Red Cross workers from offices nationwide remain on the scene, providing food, water and emotional support to people in need. For information, visit www.redcross.org, or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Businesses coming and going
* This would have been the 33rd year the Southeast Missouri Home Builders Association Home and Garden Show was held at the Show Me Center. However, the Missouri Home Builders Association decided in December it would no longer sponsor the event, according to Josh Hanlon, marketing director for the Show Me Center. Hanlon said a group of individual association members decided to keep the show going and it will now be called the "Tri State Regional Home and Garden Show." The Homebuilders Association was helpful in providing their contact and reservation lists and nearly everyone signed up with the new show, he said. Just 20 or so of the show's 196 booths still are available, Hanlon said.
"We are doing everything in our power to make sure this is one of the best ones we've has so we can bring back the excitement," Hanlon said.
For more information or to secure a booth for the show, which runs March 22 through 24, visit www.showmecenter.biz or call 651-5056.
* A new Zumba class, a fitness class featuring "exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and international beats," has started at West Park Mall in the former Pasta House space. A kickoff event will be from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. March 9 for $10. Regular classes are taking place at 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for $7. Instructor Amber Peyton encourages attendees to bring a towel, water and energy. Call 618-306-5605 for details.
* Classroom Connect, a teaching supply store in Town Plaza, is closing after 2 1/2 years in business and is having a 70 percent-off liquidation sale through the end of February. "Our customers are great," said owner and retired teacher Larry Schnurbusch. "There's just not enough of them." The stores fixtures also are for sale.
Rumors and previews
* Cape Diner is planning to open in a few weeks at the former location of Brenda's Place and Patty Lou's Cafe at 602 Morgan Oak St. in Cape Girardeau. An Arkansas-based number is listed in the window along with a sign advertising for help. More information to come.
* A few people have contacted me asking if there is any truth to the rumor that a Schlotzsky's Deli is coming to Cape Girardeau. Not so, according to representatives from the Texas-based company.
429 N. Broadview St., Cape Girardeau, MO
236 S Broadview St, Cape Girardeau, MO
West Park Mall, Cape Girardeau, MO
247 Siemers Dr., Cape Girardeau, MO
1 University Plaza, Cape Girardeau, MO
602 Morgan Oak St., Cape Girardeau, MO
2136 William St, Cape Girardeau, MO