The Cape Girardeau Fire Department responded to a call of a flue fire at 11:21 p.m. Thursday 2205 Cambridge Drive.
Upon arrival, no evidence of fire was visible from the exterior, but firefighters observed smoke coming from the fireplace area, according to a news release by Mark Starnes, battalion chief. A fire in the wall between the basement and the first floor was discovered and extinguished after "extensive overhaul" to the interior of the house.
Three fire engines and one ladder truck, along with a chief officer and 15 personnel, were on the scene for about two and a half hours. The house sustained moderate damage, estimated at $45,000. There were no injuries.
2205 Cambridge Drive, Cape Girardeau