- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Officials: Fire started by child playing with matches
Cape Girardeau fire officials released details about house fire on Hawthorne Road near Arena Park, including that the flames were sparked by a child playing with matches.
Firefighters responded to the fire just after 6 p.m. Sunday at a duplex at 2741 Hawthorne Road and determined later it had started in a closet, chief Rick Ennis said Tuesday. While the department initially reported that a child had suffered minor burns, a 28-year-old man actually suffered minor burns to his hand while trying to help with the fire, the man's mother, Karen Grayson, said.
2741 Hawthorne Road, Cape Girardeau, MO