- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Tractor-trailer wreck backs up I-55 traffic; highway closed while truck removed
A tractor-trailer that turned over on its side hindered traffic on northbound Interstate 55 in Cape Girardeau just before noon.
The wreck was near the South Kingshighway exit from I-55. One northbound lane was blocked, and traffic was moving slowly, but picking up speed just before noon, with cars backed up in a long line.
The driver for James A. Smith Transportation Inc. told police she passed out in a coughing fit while driving, according to Cape Girardeau police at the scene. She was driving south and went through the cable barrier, police said.
There's no word yet on her condition.
The crash caused the interstate to be closed in the northbound lanes for about two hours while the wreck was cleared.