- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Most competitions have a winner and a loser. And while we all love to win, for a group in Chaffee, Mo., the goal is to win by losing weight.
A recent story in the Scott County Signal by Samantha Kluesner highlighted Chaffee's Biggest Loser group. (The story was reprinted Jan. 20 in the Southeast Missourian Good Times section.) The group is on a mission to collectively lose 1,000 pounds by May 1.
The group is exercising four times each week for 17 weeks and has weekly weigh-ins. While it is a competitive effort, the real goal is to help people lose weight and be healthier.
Since the original story, more people have joined the effort. Karrie Rinehart told the Southeast Missourian on Wednesday that, as of last week, 122 people had registered and weighed in.
While the group officially started Friday, Rinehart said others still are welcome to join. Workouts are at 7 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at the Chaffee VFW, 8 p.m. Wednesdays at the Chaffee General Baptist Church and 7 p.m. Fridays at the church for volleyball. Though group workouts are offered, those who want to participate in the contest and exercise separately are welcome.
It's widely recognized that being overweight can lead to a number of serious health problems. We applaud these individuals for taking the issue seriously and finding a fun and creative way to help themselves, and others, lose weight.
For more information, call Rinehart at A Simply Different Salon at 573-887-6400.