- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Leopold's Kyle Stroder
Senior Kyle Stroder averaged 27 points in a pair of victories that sent Leopold to the championship of the Mississippi Valley Conference Tournament last week.
Stroder connected for five 3-pointers and 26 points in a 32-point victory over Zalma in the semifinals, then struck early and often in the top-seeded Wildcats' 74-39 win over Meadow Heights in the championship game.
Stroder hit 4 of 7 3-pointers in the first quarter. He scored 15 points in the period, which ended with the Wildcats holding a commanding 28-7 lead.
"I wanted to come out and just set the tone for me and our team," Stroder said. "We just wanted to jump on them early."
Stroder finished the game with 28 points for his fifth consecutive game with at least 21 points. The victory was the ninth in succession for the Wildcats, who improved to 19-2 on the season and remained unbeaten in the 2013 portion of their schedule.
Leopold, which opened the season with a 10-game winning streak, encountered its only two losses in back-to-back games in the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament.