- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)26
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Man charged with murder in beating death of father
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- A Poplar Bluff man now faces second-degree murder charges after a man he allegedly assaulted Jan. 15 died Wednesday afternoon.
Matthew D. Jenkins, 27, was originally charged with two counts of first-degree assault and two counts of felony armed criminal action in an assault on his parents.
His father, Carl Don Jenkins, 56, died Wednesday after his family decided to remove him from life support. He had been on life support since being admitted to the hospital, according to Butler County Coroner Jim Akers.
Authorities allege Matthew Jenkins called authorities Jan. 15 to report he came to his parents' home and found his father and his mother, Vicki M. Jenkins, 60, had been beaten.
Carl Jenkins was transported to St. Louis University Hospital and Vicki Jenkins was taken to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
According to a Missouri State Highway Patrol probable-cause statement, Matthew Jenkins allegedly later admitted striking both victims in the head with an aluminum baseball bat.
One of the assault charges was amended to murder Friday afternoon by Butler County Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Barbour, following an autopsy of Carl Jenkins.
Jenkins' preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday before Judge John Bloodworth.
Poplar Bluff, Mo.