- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Man charged with murder in beating death of father
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- A Poplar Bluff man now faces second-degree murder charges after a man he allegedly assaulted Jan. 15 died Wednesday afternoon.
Matthew D. Jenkins, 27, was originally charged with two counts of first-degree assault and two counts of felony armed criminal action in an assault on his parents.
His father, Carl Don Jenkins, 56, died Wednesday after his family decided to remove him from life support. He had been on life support since being admitted to the hospital, according to Butler County Coroner Jim Akers.
Authorities allege Matthew Jenkins called authorities Jan. 15 to report he came to his parents' home and found his father and his mother, Vicki M. Jenkins, 60, had been beaten.
Carl Jenkins was transported to St. Louis University Hospital and Vicki Jenkins was taken to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
According to a Missouri State Highway Patrol probable-cause statement, Matthew Jenkins allegedly later admitted striking both victims in the head with an aluminum baseball bat.
One of the assault charges was amended to murder Friday afternoon by Butler County Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Barbour, following an autopsy of Carl Jenkins.
Jenkins' preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday before Judge John Bloodworth.
Poplar Bluff, Mo.