Don't forget: Anyone receiving federal benefits must switch to electronic payments by March 1

Monday, February 4, 2013

The federal government is phasing out paper checks, and anyone who receives Social Security, veterans benefits, railroad pensions and federal disability payments will need to switch to direct deposit by March 1.

You have two options for making the switch: direct deposit or a debit card. With the first option, your money will be deposited directly into the bank account or credit union of your choice. With the debit card option, you'll receive a Direct Express Debit MasterCard, a prepaid debit card issued by the treasury, onto which your benefits will automatically be deposited each month.

To switch, visit or call 800-333-1795; or visit your bank or federal benefit agency office. If you don't make the change yourself by March 1, the government will automatically send you a Direct Express card in the mail.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: