- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Police: Man beats pregnant wife, throws her down stairs, abandons her on side of road (3/14/17)17
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)19
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Cape's 24-hour endurance run keeps growing; some will run more than 100 miles beginning Friday night (3/15/17)1
A pair of events is coming Saturday that will allow you and your better half to enjoy a nice date while simultaneously raising money for local schools.
The seventh annual Penguin Party Dinner and Auction for Cape Girardeau schools, and the fourth annual Red and Black Affair both will be held Saturday night. The Penguin Party will run from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Cape Girardeau Country Club, and the Red and Black Affair will be from 6:30 p.m. to midnight at the Arena Building.
The Penguin Party proceeds (yes, we dare you to say that fast 10 times) will go toward the public school foundation's Great Idea Teaching Grants program, which helps teachers turn innovative concepts into reality. The foundation hopes to raise $30,000.
The Penguin Party will include a cocktail hour, a silent auction and music from the junior high jazz band, followed by a live auction then live music from Two Step Eddy following the dinner.
The Jackson event will go toward the school district's technology fund. Jackson's event is limited to ages 21 and older. The event includes complimentary beverages, heavy hors d'oeuvres, door-prize drawings and a silent auction. Music will be provided by the band Mid-Life Crisis.
Tickets for both events are $50 each.
Call the Cape Girardeau Public School Foundation at 651-0555 or the Jackson School District Foundation at 243-9501 for more information.
If you're looking for a nice evening as a prelude to Valentine's Day, these events provide good opportunities to enjoy a night out while supporting local schools at the same time.