- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
A pair of events is coming Saturday that will allow you and your better half to enjoy a nice date while simultaneously raising money for local schools.
The seventh annual Penguin Party Dinner and Auction for Cape Girardeau schools, and the fourth annual Red and Black Affair both will be held Saturday night. The Penguin Party will run from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Cape Girardeau Country Club, and the Red and Black Affair will be from 6:30 p.m. to midnight at the Arena Building.
The Penguin Party proceeds (yes, we dare you to say that fast 10 times) will go toward the public school foundation's Great Idea Teaching Grants program, which helps teachers turn innovative concepts into reality. The foundation hopes to raise $30,000.
The Penguin Party will include a cocktail hour, a silent auction and music from the junior high jazz band, followed by a live auction then live music from Two Step Eddy following the dinner.
The Jackson event will go toward the school district's technology fund. Jackson's event is limited to ages 21 and older. The event includes complimentary beverages, heavy hors d'oeuvres, door-prize drawings and a silent auction. Music will be provided by the band Mid-Life Crisis.
Tickets for both events are $50 each.
Call the Cape Girardeau Public School Foundation at 651-0555 or the Jackson School District Foundation at 243-9501 for more information.
If you're looking for a nice evening as a prelude to Valentine's Day, these events provide good opportunities to enjoy a night out while supporting local schools at the same time.