- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
A pair of events is coming Saturday that will allow you and your better half to enjoy a nice date while simultaneously raising money for local schools.
The seventh annual Penguin Party Dinner and Auction for Cape Girardeau schools, and the fourth annual Red and Black Affair both will be held Saturday night. The Penguin Party will run from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Cape Girardeau Country Club, and the Red and Black Affair will be from 6:30 p.m. to midnight at the Arena Building.
The Penguin Party proceeds (yes, we dare you to say that fast 10 times) will go toward the public school foundation's Great Idea Teaching Grants program, which helps teachers turn innovative concepts into reality. The foundation hopes to raise $30,000.
The Penguin Party will include a cocktail hour, a silent auction and music from the junior high jazz band, followed by a live auction then live music from Two Step Eddy following the dinner.
The Jackson event will go toward the school district's technology fund. Jackson's event is limited to ages 21 and older. The event includes complimentary beverages, heavy hors d'oeuvres, door-prize drawings and a silent auction. Music will be provided by the band Mid-Life Crisis.
Tickets for both events are $50 each.
Call the Cape Girardeau Public School Foundation at 651-0555 or the Jackson School District Foundation at 243-9501 for more information.
If you're looking for a nice evening as a prelude to Valentine's Day, these events provide good opportunities to enjoy a night out while supporting local schools at the same time.