- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Fake UFC event listing stirs the pot at local Golden Corral (2/10/18)3
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
A pair of events is coming Saturday that will allow you and your better half to enjoy a nice date while simultaneously raising money for local schools.
The seventh annual Penguin Party Dinner and Auction for Cape Girardeau schools, and the fourth annual Red and Black Affair both will be held Saturday night. The Penguin Party will run from 6 to 11 p.m. at the Cape Girardeau Country Club, and the Red and Black Affair will be from 6:30 p.m. to midnight at the Arena Building.
The Penguin Party proceeds (yes, we dare you to say that fast 10 times) will go toward the public school foundation's Great Idea Teaching Grants program, which helps teachers turn innovative concepts into reality. The foundation hopes to raise $30,000.
The Penguin Party will include a cocktail hour, a silent auction and music from the junior high jazz band, followed by a live auction then live music from Two Step Eddy following the dinner.
The Jackson event will go toward the school district's technology fund. Jackson's event is limited to ages 21 and older. The event includes complimentary beverages, heavy hors d'oeuvres, door-prize drawings and a silent auction. Music will be provided by the band Mid-Life Crisis.
Tickets for both events are $50 each.
Call the Cape Girardeau Public School Foundation at 651-0555 or the Jackson School District Foundation at 243-9501 for more information.
If you're looking for a nice evening as a prelude to Valentine's Day, these events provide good opportunities to enjoy a night out while supporting local schools at the same time.