Business community continues to expand, deflate
Monday, February 4, 2013
Businesses coming, going and changing
* Ferguson Enterprises, ranked by trade publications as the nation's largest distributor of plumbing supplies and pipe, valves and fittings, will open a Cape Girardeau location March 4. Tom Kelsey of Lorimont Place Ltd. brokered the real estate for the location at 1329 Southern Expressway. The 10,800-square-foot building was formerly occupied by Elfrink Transportation and is being remodeled. The Cape Girardeau facility will be the company's 10th Missouri location. Others are in the St. Louis, Kansas City and St. Joseph areas. Ferguson Enterprises also has a branch facility in Paducah, Ky.
* Safari Playland recently opened at 529 W. Main St. in Jackson. It is a part of the educational programs offered by Lazy L Safari Park, a walk-though zoo in Cape Girardeau, and was established "to teach families about animals and how animals play an important part of our lives," according to a news release issued last week. Animal exhibits will be rotated throughout the year. Children can play in a veterinarian clinic, pet store, pet grooming and zookeeper zones. Safari Playland will be open weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the winter and admission is $5 per person for ages 2 and older. A calendar of activities and more information may be found at www.safariplayland.com or by calling 204-4450.
* Blockbuster at 2502 William St. in Cape Girardeau closed Saturday and is having a liquidation sale of remaining merchandise today through March 24. The 300 lowest-earning stores nationwide were selected for closure, according to store manager Maryjane Gibbens. Customers are encouraged to return any outstanding items to avoid late fees.
* National Asset Recovery Services Inc. (NARS) and its affiliated companies, Pinnacle Financial Group Inc. (PFG) and Integrity Financial Partners Inc. (IFP), announced Jan. 28 that it integrated its operating divisions and would change its name to Integrity Solution Services Inc. NARS has a 40,000-square-foot call center at 2102 William St.
* Verizon Wireless has activated 11 new cell sites in Southeast Missouri to provide improved coverage and capacity. In Cape Girardeau County, coverage will be improved along Highways 34 and 72, in Bollinger County coverage will be bettered along Highway 51/91, in Madison County there will be improved coverage along Highway 67, in Scott County, coverage along Highway 25 will be enhanced and in Stoddard County coverage will be improved along Highway 51 near Puxico, Mo.
Job placement and educational opportunities
* Older workers can find paid community service positions and job training through the Experience Works Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). Qualified applicants must be 55 or older, unemployed, live in Cape Girardeau County and have an individual yearly income of $13,964 or less ($18,913 or less for a family of two). The program also can provide job search help, immediate wage assistance and referral services for those who qualify. For more information, call 877-872-4740 or visit www.experienceworks.org.
* A basic bookkeeping workshop will be from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Business & Industry Training Center at Shawnee Community College in Ullin, Ill. Participants will learn basic accounting terminology, identify the difference between cash and accrual accounting methods, become familiar with accounts payable and accounts receivable methods, use a journal and general ledger to document business financials, use a balance sheet, identify different types of financial statements and create a working budget. The fee is $55, which includes materials and lunch. Participants will receive 0.5 credit hour and may qualify for 6.5 continuing education/professional development units. For more information or to register by the Feb. 13 deadline, call Gabriele Farner at 618-634-3254 or email email@example.com.
* Just more than 200 years after the great New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812, which altered the flow of the Mississippi River, a special awareness event will be Feb. 16 at West Park Mall to educate people about how to survive a seismic event. Beginning at 10 a.m., federal, state and local officials will host interactive displays, distribute safety and educational information and answer visitors' questions. Participants include the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Missouri State Emergency Management Agency, Missouri Department of Natural Resources Division of Geology and Land Survey, Central U.S. Earthquake Consortium, Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), Cape Girardeau County Public Health Department, Humane Society of Southeast Missouri, American Red Cross, New Madrid Museum and the Bootheel Youth Museum.
* An agricultural operations summit will be Tuesday at Southeast Missouri State University and provide information on grain outlook and strategies for 2013. For information on the 2013 Strategic Ag Outlook meeting, call 651-0988 or visit www.midwestgrainandbarge.com.
1329 Southern Expressway, Cape Girardeau, MO
529 W. Main Street, Jackson, MO
2502 William St, Cape Girardeau, MO
2102 William Street, Cape Girardeau, MO
Shawnee Community College, Ullin, Ill
West Park Mall, Cape Girardeau, MO