Cape Girardeau fire starts in couch

Saturday, February 2, 2013 ~ Updated 12:33 AM
Members of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department fight a house fire Friday, Feb. 1, at 1535 N. Water St. in Cape Girardeau. One woman was inside the house at the time of the fire according to battalion chief Brad Dillow, but escaped unharmed. (Adam Vogler)

Cape Girardeau firefighters were called Friday night to battle a blaze that started in a couch.

A call came in just after 9 p.m. of a house fire at 1535 N. Water St. One woman was inside the house at the time of the fire, and she escaped after trying to put out the fire with an extinguisher, battalion chief Brad Dillow said. Dillow said firefighters believe the couch was pushed up against a heater. The woman escaped the house and called 911. No one was injured in the fire, which caused moderate damage. Damage was estimated at $35,000.

Pertinent address:

1535 N. Water St., Cape Girardeau, MO

Map of pertinent addresses

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: