- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Special Olympics recognizes area leaders
The Special Olympics of Missouri recognized the following Southeast Missouri residents for their leadership and contributions at a Special Olympics leadership conference:
* Scott Wright, outstanding athlete
* Ute Smith, outstanding coach
* Wanda Blattel, outstanding volunteer
* The Gardener family, outstanding family
For more information about Special Olympics Missouri, call 573-635-8233 or email Schatsiek@somo.org.
Valentines pageant to be held Saturday
Beautiful Me Productions will present America's Sweetheart Valentines Pageant at 4 p.m. Saturday at West Park Mall. Registration is $35 in advance or $45 day of the pageant. All contestants will receive a crown, and supreme winners will qualify for state competition. The pageant is open to boys and girls ages infant to teens. For more information, call 573-382-1748 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fifth-grade students invited to enter contest
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is inviting fifth-grade students to come up with the slogan for Earth Day. The theme is "Energy efficiency" and the deadline to enter is Feb. 28. The winner will receive a $50 gift card. For more information, visit www.dnr.mo.gov/earthday.
*** St. Paul Lutheran to hold rummage sale fundraiser
St. Paul Lutheran Church in Jackson is hosting a rummage sale to raise funds for its Guatemala mission trip. The sale will be held on the following days:
* noon to 7 p.m. Wednesday
* 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday
* 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday
* 7 a.m. to noon Saturday
There are several items on sale. Baked goods, homemade soups and other concessions also will be available. For more information, call 243-5080
American Heart Association schedules Heart Walk
The American Heart Association's Heart Walk is scheduled for 8 a.m., Saturday at the Osage Centre in Cape Girardeau. The purpose of the Heart Walk is to raise understanding on the importance of a heart-healthy lifestyle in prevention of cardiovascular disease. The Heart Walk will honor survivors, hold screenings, give health education, giveaways and more. The event is free and donations will be accepted. For more information, call 618-983-3234 or visit www.capeheartwalk.org
Fitness Plus to host indoor triathlon
Fitness Plus is hosting an indoor triathlon starting at 8 a.m. March 2. The triathlon will include competitive and noncompetitive divisions for individuals and teams. Elements consist of a 300-yard swim in the lap pool, a five-mile ride on a stationary bicycle and a two-mile run on the indoor track. Cost is $25 for individual members, $35 for nonmembers, $40 for member teams and $50 for nonmember teams. For more information, call 331-5311 or visit www.fitnessplus.sfmc.net.
Conservation department seeks website feedback
The Missouri Department of Conservation is redesigning its website and is seeking feedback on ways to improve it. The Conservation Department is in need of volunteers to test and provide input on the site. To register or for more information, visit www.mdc.mo.gov/node/20485.
*** Heart to Heart Luncheon to be held Feb. 22
Saint Francis Medical Center will host the annual Heart to Heart Luncheon later this month. Doors open at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 22 at Drury Lodge. Zonya Foco will be the keynote speaker. Foco presented in 2009 and is a nationally known author, TV host and speaker. The event will feature exhibitions and screenings, door prizes and a healthy lunch. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door and are available by calling 331-5327 or online at www.sfmc.net/hearttoheart.htm.