- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Strattman to step down as principal at St. Mary (4/28/17)1
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
Diana Valleroy is VFW Post 3838 Teacher of Year
Sixth-Grade Teacher Diana Valleroy of Cape Central Middle School (CMS) was recognized this month as Teacher of the Year by VFW Post 3838. "She is very deserving of this recognition," said Post Commander Bill Humphries, at right in the photo. At center is Jeff Heise, VFW District 15 Voice of Democracy Chairman. "With 19 years of teaching experience in Cape Public Schools, she comes highly recommended by her colleagues," Humphries said. Gayle Schafer, a 6th-grade teacher at CMS, nominated Valleroy for the award, saying, "Diana has an impressive record of both promoting patriotism and of serving our community... she was instrumental in starting our care packages for the military... (and) our Adopt a Soldier Program. Diana imparts a sense of caring patriotism and volunteerism on her students."
Another colleague, 6th-grade teacher Jennifer Stevens, said, "I have worked with her since the Middle School opened and have witnessed first-hand all of the things she does for our community. The best part about her is she NEVER seeks recognition or praise for anything she does-- she does it out of the kindness of her heart! She is one of the humblest people I know."
Mrs. Valleroy grew up in Ste. Genevieve and holds a Bachelor of Science from Southeast Missouri State University and a Master's from Webster. "I love to sew and crochet and do needle work. I also enjoy cooking, eating and traveling. I enjoy spending time with students and knowing that I am making an impact for the future. The best part is when a student who was struggling with a concept understands the information," she said. Valleroy has also been recognized as MOSPAN teacher of the year in 2000, VFW District 8 teacher of the year in 2007 and American Legion teacher of the year in 2008.