- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Diana Valleroy is VFW Post 3838 Teacher of Year
Sixth-Grade Teacher Diana Valleroy of Cape Central Middle School (CMS) was recognized this month as Teacher of the Year by VFW Post 3838. "She is very deserving of this recognition," said Post Commander Bill Humphries, at right in the photo. At center is Jeff Heise, VFW District 15 Voice of Democracy Chairman. "With 19 years of teaching experience in Cape Public Schools, she comes highly recommended by her colleagues," Humphries said. Gayle Schafer, a 6th-grade teacher at CMS, nominated Valleroy for the award, saying, "Diana has an impressive record of both promoting patriotism and of serving our community... she was instrumental in starting our care packages for the military... (and) our Adopt a Soldier Program. Diana imparts a sense of caring patriotism and volunteerism on her students."
Another colleague, 6th-grade teacher Jennifer Stevens, said, "I have worked with her since the Middle School opened and have witnessed first-hand all of the things she does for our community. The best part about her is she NEVER seeks recognition or praise for anything she does-- she does it out of the kindness of her heart! She is one of the humblest people I know."
Mrs. Valleroy grew up in Ste. Genevieve and holds a Bachelor of Science from Southeast Missouri State University and a Master's from Webster. "I love to sew and crochet and do needle work. I also enjoy cooking, eating and traveling. I enjoy spending time with students and knowing that I am making an impact for the future. The best part is when a student who was struggling with a concept understands the information," she said. Valleroy has also been recognized as MOSPAN teacher of the year in 2000, VFW District 8 teacher of the year in 2007 and American Legion teacher of the year in 2008.