- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)29
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Dolphin dies amid pollution in N.Y. canal
NEW YORK -- Marine experts said a dolphin seen shaking black gunk from its snout after wandering into a polluted canal in New York might well have been ill before it lost its way and died.
The wayward dolphin splashed around in the filthy waters of the Gowanus Canal before it died Friday. The canal is a Superfund site, where for years factories and fuel refineries operated.
Marine experts had planned to help the dolphin Saturday morning if it didn't get out of the canal during high tide. They had decided to hold off intervening Friday because of the stress the dolphin might have endured.
Experts plan to conduct a necropsy to determine why the dolphin died.