- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local priest met Mother Teresa, will attend canonization (8/31/16)
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Wal-Mart theft probe yields drug charges against woman (8/31/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
- Cape police: Illinois union president hit woman in head with rock (8/28/16)3
Prior sex abuse claims made against L.A. teacher
LOS ANGELES -- The superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District said a principal failed on two occasions to let officials know about sexual abuse claims against a veteran teacher arrested this week on similar allegations.
Superintendent John Deasy on Thursday said the former principal at George De La Torre Jr. Elementary School didn't notify district officials of claims against 57-year-old Robert Pimentel. Deasy said the first report was four years ago at the school; the other was eight years ago at another elementary school at which the principal and Pimentel worked.
Deasy sought to have the principal and Pimentel fired, but both retired after the allegations surfaced last March.
Pimentel faces 15 felony counts and was expected to appear Thursday in a Long Beach courtroom. He's being held on $12 million bail.