- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
It's been an inspiring week with the local events held to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We hope you were able to attend one or more of the celebrations. Each plays an important role not only for our nation but also for our individual communities.
One of the annual events honors those locally who have made a difference. During the Humanitarian Luncheon on Monday, five were recognized with the Dr. C. John Ritter Humanitarian Award. Ritter, a now-deceased local doctor, made many medical trips to Third World countries with his wife Marcia Southard-Ritter.
This year's award winners: Calvin and Denza Mitchell, Jerry and Minnie Hammonds and Genieve Dockery.
Calvin and Denza Mitchell were recognized for service to their church and involvement in community events. Calvin Mitchell is a former Southeast Missourian employee. Jerry and Minnie Hammonds received the award for their work with children. Dockery, described in the Southeast Missourian story as a strong Christian, has put her faith into action by mentoring her neighbors.
Congratulations to each of the award recipients. We appreciate your selfless service, reaching beyond yourself to help and encourage others.
Your efforts, though not always recognized in public, are appreciated and inspire others to look for opportunities to serve.