Fire leaves Sikeston woman dead

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SIKESTON, Mo. -- Authorities attribute the death of a Sikeston woman who was unable to escape a house fire late Monday night to smoke inhalation.

According to Scott County Coroner Scott Amick, Barbara Jones, 56, died from smoke inhalation during a house fire at 327 E. Gladys St.

Sikeston police and fire departments responded to the fire at about 11:30 p.m. After the flames were extinguished, firefighters discovered Jones' body inside the house. The fire still was being investigated Tuesday, but authorities said they believe it was started accidentally. No one else was home at the time of the fire.

Pertinent address:

327 E. Gladys St., Sikeston, Mo.

Map of pertinent addresses

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: