- Business Notebook 5/28/13 (05/28/13)
- Bank of Missouri offers $1,000 to winner of business contest (05/20/13)
- Broadway Prescription Shop featured in magazine (05/13/13)
- Leadercast to be presented Friday via live simulcast (05/06/13)
- Warmer weather brings back the farmers market (04/29/13)
- Training classes help prepare future entrepreneurs (04/22/13)
- Energy-efficent appliances receive sales tax holiday (04/15/13)
Local business landscape is on the move
The local business landscape is alive with activity. Businesses are opening, moving, expanding and finding unique ways to spread their messages.
* Dr. Aaron Andrews and Dr. Philip Pappas of Jackson Healing Arts have written a book, "What You Don't Know Can Heal You: Revealing Secrets to the Most Overlooked Answer for a Healthier Life." The book, published by Totally Booked Practice LLC, is available for purchase at their chiropractic office at 3130 E. Jackson Blvd. and at Hastings Books Music & Videos in Cape Girardeau.
* SoutheastHEALTH's Web site, SEhealth.org, recently won a Silver Award for Best Overall Internet Site. Some 1,100 entries were received from a wide range of health care organizations in 14 award categories. Winners for 2012 were recognized during a special presentation at the 16th annual Healthcare Internet Conference, held in November in Las Vegas. Factors considered in the judging included delivery of strong health content, interactivity, medical care support, integration with the organization's operation, strength of design and ease of navigation.
* Community Counseling Center broke ground last week on a two-story, 9,500-square-foot addition to its facility at 402 S. Silver Springs Road, which will house administration offices and the Community Based Solutions program. Construction is planned for completion by late summer.
* The Southeast Weight Management Center at Southeast Hospital has partnered with Perry County Memorial Hospital in Perryville, Mo., to offer a comprehensive program that can be tailored to the health and weight-loss needs of individuals with any type of weight condition. Perry County area residents may register for a free informational session to be held 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan. 29 at Perry County Memorial Hospital by calling 986-4406.
* Nominations are being accepted for Missouri Family Physician of the Year by the The Missouri Academy of Family Physicians. Visit www.mo-afp.org, call 635-0830 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to submit a physician's name. Deadline is March 1.
* John Schoen of Schoen Farms Inc., a dairy farm near Oak Ridge, will sit on an educational panel at the Heart of America Dairy Expo Jan. 25 and 26 in Springfield, Mo. Those interested in attending may contact the Missouri Dairy Association by email at: email@example.com or by calling 636-519-9300. Registration is free for dairy farmers.
* Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack recently announced a new microloan program from the U.S. Department of Agriculture designed to help small and family-farm operations secure loans less than $35,000. For details, contact the Missouri State Farm Service Agency office at 876-0925.
* Lang Jewelry & Fine Gifts, a family business that is closing its doors after 96 years due to the retirement of owners Roger and Judith Anne Lang, is holding an online auction to liquidate remaining merchandise. Bidding ends at 7 p.m. Jan. 24 and items may be viewed at www.bclauction.com/LANG-JEWELRY-FINE-GIF....
* Sloan & Themis Co. at 31 C N. Main St. will host a bead trunk show featuring designer-quality gemstone beads, Murano beads, crystal beads and freshwater pearls Jan. 31 through Feb. 3 and again Feb. 7 through Feb. 10.
* Earlier this month, the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce held a ribbon-cutting for SEMO Party Bus. Owner David Slaughter said the bus interior is outfitted with wraparound limosine-style seating, special lighting and karaoke machine to transport riders in a fun atmosphere to weddings, wineries, parties, children's events and tourist destinations. Contact SEMO Party Bus at 200-6675 or visit www.semopartybus.com.
* Yvonne's Restaurant at 1015 N. Kingshighway has closed. The restaurant's original location in Benton, Mo., remains open for business.
Cape Girardeau, MO
Oak Ridge, MO