- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)36
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
BENTON, Mo. -- Martha Shores, 85, of Benton, formerly of Rushville, Ill., passed away Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Nov. 17, 1927, in Schuyler County, Ill., daughter of Vern and Nellie Black Strong. She and Roy Shores were married April 5, 1947, in Chicago. He preceded her in death Dec. 11, 1994.
Also preceding her in death were a grandson, Chad Plain; three brothers, Randall, Edward "Jack", and George Strong; and a sister, Dorothy Jones.
Survivors include a son, David Shores of Tucker, Ga.; a daughter, Rebecca Plain and husband Leslie of Benton; two grandchildren, Jennifer Grojean and husband Jason, and Jason Plain and wife Monica; four great-grandchildren, Emily and Allison Grojean, Kya Baker, Levi Muehfelt; a great-great-grandson, Bentley Grojean; a sister, Laura McMillen of Rushville; several nieces and nephews.
Martha was a 1945 graduate of Rushville High School. She was a member of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Rushville. She enjoyed reading, Fannie Mae chocolates, and playing with her great-great-grandson.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Wood Funeral Home in Rushville.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. John Sowers officiating. Interment will be in Messerer Cemetery near Frederick, Ill.
Memorials are suggested to the Macular Degeneration Foundation, P.O. Box 531313, Henderson, Nev., and will be accepted at the funeral home.
You are invited to share your memories of Martha and leave condolences at www.woodfh.net.