- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
BENTON, Mo. -- Martha Shores, 85, of Benton, formerly of Rushville, Ill., passed away Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Nov. 17, 1927, in Schuyler County, Ill., daughter of Vern and Nellie Black Strong. She and Roy Shores were married April 5, 1947, in Chicago. He preceded her in death Dec. 11, 1994.
Also preceding her in death were a grandson, Chad Plain; three brothers, Randall, Edward "Jack", and George Strong; and a sister, Dorothy Jones.
Survivors include a son, David Shores of Tucker, Ga.; a daughter, Rebecca Plain and husband Leslie of Benton; two grandchildren, Jennifer Grojean and husband Jason, and Jason Plain and wife Monica; four great-grandchildren, Emily and Allison Grojean, Kya Baker, Levi Muehfelt; a great-great-grandson, Bentley Grojean; a sister, Laura McMillen of Rushville; several nieces and nephews.
Martha was a 1945 graduate of Rushville High School. She was a member of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Rushville. She enjoyed reading, Fannie Mae chocolates, and playing with her great-great-grandson.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Wood Funeral Home in Rushville.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. John Sowers officiating. Interment will be in Messerer Cemetery near Frederick, Ill.
Memorials are suggested to the Macular Degeneration Foundation, P.O. Box 531313, Henderson, Nev., and will be accepted at the funeral home.
You are invited to share your memories of Martha and leave condolences at www.woodfh.net.