- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)30
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Messiah Choir to perform at Trinity Lutheran
The Messiah Choir will perform choruses and solos from Handel's "Messiah" at 2:45 p.m. today at Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau. The Trinity Handbell Choir and Brass Choir will also be performing. A freewill offering will be taken and a reception will follow the concert.
Nickell to speak at genealogical society meeting
The Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society will meet 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Cape Girardeau County Archive Center, located at 112 E. Washington Ave., in Jackson. Dr. Frank Nickell of Southeast Missouri State University will present "Historic Preservation in Missouri." The Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society meets bimonthly on the fourth Tuesday. Everyone is welcome at all meetings. Membership is $10 per year. For more information, call 335-1507.
Salvation Army to host Meals with Friends
The Salvation Army will be serving the following food items for its Meals with Friends community meals. Meals will be served from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
* Monday: Scalloped potatoes with ham casserole, veggies, fruited Jell-O salad and dessert.
* Tuesday: Turkey and noodles, veggies, blueberry crisp and dessert.
* Wednesday: Ham and beans, cornbread, applesauce, veggies and dessert.
* Thursday: Spaghetti with garlic bread, assorted salads and dessert.
* Friday: Beef stew or chicken a la king with mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls and dessert.
The Salvation Army can also use potatoes, cheese, garden salad mix, ground beef, oars, sugar, butter, vegetables, cornmeal, flour, carryout foam containers, 12-ounce Styrofoam cups and canned fruit.
Valen 'Teen' Dance to be held Feb. 1
Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the second Valen "Teen" Dance from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Feb. 1 at Shawnee Park Center. The event is for students in sixth through eighth grades. Admission is $5 and parents must sign a waiver. The night will feature dancing and fun, a live DJ and concessions. The casual dress code will be strictly enforced and the event is chaperoned by parks and recreation staff and the Cape Girardeau Police Department. For more information, call the Shawnee Park Center at 339-6731
Super Kids Race Day set for Feb. 10
Registration is open for Super Kids Race Day hosted by the Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department. The race is for ages 15 and under. Check-in begins at 11:45 a.m. Feb. 10 at the Southeast Missouri State University Student Recreation Center. Cost to register is $10 per child and $8 per additional child before Feb. 1. For more information, call 339-6340.
Church Women United to host Hospitality Day
Church Women United is hosting Hospitality Day beginning at 2 p.m. today at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Jackson. Greg Jacobs of the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center is the featured speaker. He will be sharing his nature poetry.
Red Cross opens Everyday Hero nominations
The American Red Cross is accepting nominations for Everyday Heroes. Anyone who has made a difference in the community or in someone else's life is eligible to be nominated. The deadline for nominations is Feb. 8. To submit a nomination and for more information, visit www.redcross.org/news/event/2013-Everyda....
Chaffee church to hold chili cook-off
The Church of God of Chaffee, Mo., is hosting its annual chili cook-off at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the church, located at 11929 State Highway 77. A cash prize will be awarded to the first-place winner. There is no charge. Chili, coffee, tea and dessert will be served. To register, call 573-887-9166 or email email@example.com.
Cape Girardeau County Historical Society meeting
Cape Girardeau County Historical Society will be meeting at 5 p.m. Friday at Delmonico's Restaurant in Jackson. Shannon Hughes, tugboat captain, will be the guest speaker. He will discuss navigating and the challenges of the Mississippi River. For more information, call 243-1225.
Red Cross volunteers to share tips on fire safety
Red Cross in Southeast Missouri volunteers will be going door-to-door Monday talking to people about fire prevention, and how to escape safely should a fire occur. Volunteers will meet at 10 a.m. at the Red Cross office, located at 2430 Myra Dr. in Cape Girardeau. The participants will talk to residents who are available and leave safety-tip door hangers for those not at home. The door hangers provide cooking and heating tips and address the importance of smoke alarms and the need to create and practice a fire escape plan. For more information, email Ann Knopf at firstname.lastname@example.org.