- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Trash truck driver killed, passengers injured
A one-vehicle crash Wednesday afternoon in Stoddard County resulted in the death of a trash-truck driver and injuries to two passengers.
According to Trooper Clark Parrott, spokesman for Troop E of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at about 2:45 p.m. Daniel J. Whittemore, 34, of Advance, Mo., was driving a Freightliner trash truck westbound on Route AB just east of County Road 506.
With Whittemore were Tracy K. Williams, 47, of Advance and Jonathan E. Eldridge, 27, of Marble Hill, Mo. It is believed the truck ran off the right side of the road and the driver overcorrected. It then ran off the left side of the road where he overcorrected again. The vehicle overturned on its side.
Whittemore was pronounced dead at the scene by the Stoddard County coroner. Williams sustained serious injuries and was taken to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau with Eldridge, who had moderate injuries.
Parrott said none of the occupants was wearing a seat belt, Why the truck encountered difficulties is unknown.
It was the first vehicle fatality of 2013 for Troop E.
Pertinent address: Route AB near County Road 506, Stoddard County, Mo.